There’s SO Much Music in Austin!
Are you burnt out by all of the events you attended as SXSW comes to a close for 2014? Or did you avoid the madness at all costs because it just seemed too daunting with little people to keep tabs on?
I’ll admit it, I’m part of the second camp this year… I get so into the music that I lose track of the kids, OR I’m so focused on the kids that I can barely appreciate the music. We attended just one “South By” event this year (do I still get my “Good Austin Mom” medal?) which was Wednesday’s School of Rock showcase in the enclosed beer garden of Scholz Garten on 17th and San Jacinto. And that’s it. My family is in an in-between stage right now, where we just can’t keep the boys close. While I don’t miss pushing around a stroller or carrying around the diaper bag full of gear that having a toddler required, it *was* nice to have my charges on lockdown. Now I seem to be scanning an ever-widening circle of free-roaming boy energy, especially challenging when I’m parenting solo!
If you missed it entirely, don’t fret — more opportunities to hear live music in family-friendly settings are right around the corner!
The one I’m currently excited about is HONK!TX, happening next weekend! March 21st, 22nd, & 23rd!
Boss Street Brass Band — high energy, original songs, and loads of talent.
You do NOT want to miss them, because they’re going big, I guarantee it!
HONK! is a festival of community street bands who travel from all over the country to converge on a city for a weekend of free (OUTDOOR, no tickets required!) revelry. They’re taking over our parks, coffee shops, parading through the streets — and even making an appearance at the brand new Thinkery!
Minor Mishap Marching Band, photo by Stephen Pruitt, fluxionphotography.com
Here’s the current lineup from their webpage:
Friday, March 21st
- Pre-Festival Community Shows – We are proud to partner with our community organizations. This year’s community shows will take place at Frontsteps / ARCH, Boys & Girls Clubs of Austin, Rosedale School, and the Thinkery.
- HONK!TX Kickoff!
- South Congress near Jo’s Coffee from 6p to 10p, *free*
- Join us as 18 bands dazzle the denizens of Austin with free musical performances.
Saturday, March 22nd
- HONK!TX in the Park!
- Adams Park/Hemphill Park Neighborhood, near 29th and Fruth St.
- Once again we return to the Adams and Hemphill Parks where bands will be performing non-stop in performance spaces around the area. The vast majority of HONK!TX bands will be playing twice throughout the day. Stay tuned for the lineup and more details!
Sunday, March 23rd
- HONKTX Parade Day!
- Pan-Am Park, 4th and Chicon St
- Parade: 12pm-2pm
- Band Revue: 2:30pm-5:30pm
- We’re kicking off our annual parade from Pan-American Park in East Austin at 12 Noon sharp! The route will see 20 bands and plenty of spectacle marching their musical way through East Austin and returning to the park. Following that will be our annual all-band blowout revue where bands will have 8 minutes to strut their stuff for an adoring audience of fans and friends. Be on the lookout for one-shot appearances by the Trombone Choir and the all-new bass drum choir!
I highly recommend Sunday’s parade. Plenty of parking around the perimeter, and a revue of all the bands in a single location at the finale — with a great play-scape on site! Bring a blanket and some snacks, and you’re good to go!
Dead Music Capital Band — a number of my friends and band-mates are in this group. I assure you they’re harmless, but proceed with caution because they might be a little scary for your littles. Or, as evidenced by MY family, your kid might decide after an impromptu march in their parade, to to BE a zombie. With a sharpie. Yes, he got nekkid. Yes, the sharpie was *everywhere.*
Hope to see you all there!